Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rottnest



Rottnest Island!!

Drove to Freo to get the ferry and when we got to the island we got our bikes. I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a teenager I think, but it was fine. The only problem was that the bike they gave me was in pretty poor shape...the gears were suck but would change without notice, jerking the bike - I almost fell off a few times. Dave ended up taking that bike, and dad rode the other one. Dad was so great, and rode the bike all day, better than I would have done!!! Mom and I walked around the island and hopped the bus. I felt bad for Mom. She was fighting a migraine, but was so strong. She didn't even complain about it, even though we lost the boys at one point. I couldn't believe how well she did. We saw Quokkas, so cute, my sister would have loved them. They were so tame and used to people that one lady had to remove one of them from her bag! The beaches on Rottnest Island are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. We saw Salmon Bay, Parkers Point and Little Parakeet Bay. Dave and I snorkeled there, it was fantastic! Mom and I missed the bus to Thompson Bay and had to walk quite a long way. When we all got to the pub for some eats it felt pretty good! We hadn't eaten all day and I devoured my steak sandwich! The Kingston Barracks was our accommodation - we were pleasantly surprised to find that our room had its own bathroom! Dave and I got bunk beds, a double for Mom and Dad. Exhausted and sunburnt, we were all asleep by 9:30.

Day 2 of Rottnest:

A less intense day than the one before. Unfortunately Mom woke up to find that her head was still hurting and on top of that she was unable to move her neck. The flies outside were terrible!! We took the bus into town (there were some pretty entertainingly annoying ladies on the bus!), had breakfast pies at the bakery and Mom opted to stay in the little village while Dad, Dave and I went to the Basin. The Basin was lovely. I spent most of my time reading on the beach. It was a hot day, but I had the chills a little bit from overexposure to the sun the day before. Dad and Dave swam and snorkeled, and though the water was beautiful, it was cold. We met up with Mom in the afternoon, went to the pub for a beer and hung out before catching the ferry back to Freo. Great trip, and it was nice to get home.


No comments: